Home » Phase 4 – Self-Assessment essay

Phase 4 – Self-Assessment essay

Self Assessment

To what extent have I achieved the course learning objectives this semester? During this semester we’ve had 4 phases in which we were given different essays in which we had to use what we learned from those phases. I’ve felt that I have done well during these assignments and have been able to show the level of understanding I have for each topic the class has learned in each phase.

Phase 1 was introduced to our first major assignment. The first assignment was named The Language & Literacy Narrative. The objective of this project was clearly stated to carefully craft and revise a story of a specific moment, event, or experience. With this being our first assignment I wanted to try my best and give this assignment my best for those who would read it to truly view that moment as if they were there. I spoke of my experience with the language English and how it became one of my biggest struggles in life. I went on to share the personal details of my life to truly show what I was capable of in the first assignment. At the end of the assignment, we had to write a cover letter which also came to be my first time writing a cover letter for a project. I ended having more trouble with the cover letter than with the main assignment, but regardless of struggling I ended up writing what I could to the best I could and I was able to get through it. I believe that I achieved this phase well and due to being able to show the understanding that I had of the main assignment and due to being able to do it well.

Phase 2 was given to us and I had enough confidence to believe that I was going to do good in this one as well. During Phase 2 we were introduced to rhetorical essays, speeches, and performances by others; we were made to analyze them and truly pick out what those people were thinking what was the thought behind what they did. We then later came to a near end to phase 2 in which we had to write another essay which was The Rhetorical Analysis Essay. In this essay, I chose to use the author Amy Tan and her text “Mother tongue” due to understanding what the author’s main point was and what she wanted the reader to take away from it. I didn’t struggle much with this essay since I was prepared for it and was able to use the work we did in the middle of the class to my advantage and since I was able to relate to the author I was able to also add some of my thoughts in there. I was able to achieve the learning objective in this assignment and was able to excel due to the understanding I believe I had in the subjects and the material given to us. 

Phase 3 was more of a struggle for me and I wasn’t able to learn much in this phase due to too many things going on in my life at the time. The work in this phase I didn’t understand too much since I wasn’t able to do it all or do it at the best time. The last assignment in this phase was a Research Essay. During the process of making this essay, I chose to write about Racism and the true meaning behind it. While writing it I started to work on many other things which led to me not working as hard in this phase. I ended up finishing this essay by the time that this essay was due. I believe I didn’t completely achieve the learning objective in this phase due to having to deal with many things at the same time but that isn’t an excuse but I’m glad I was able to do it to the best of my knowledge.

To what extent have I achieved the course learning objectives this semester? I have achieved the course learning objective this semester a good amount but I started to drift off near the end of the semester and I won’t let the same thing happen in the next semester. I came to understand the lessons and the work given to us and I’ll use what I’ve learned in my next semester.